Sunday, February 8, 2009

A New Sister

This moving to another area has had a domino effect. Some changes are bittersweet. For one, my dearest friend who has been easily accessible because she was my neighbor, is no longer close by. This has been a great loss for me. Over a period of years that nearly spans the lifetimes of our children we had often walked miles in the early morning hours. I shared detailed aspects of my life with her I would not have shared with any other person. We have had a truly spiritual friendship, helping one another to stay on the right path. She never hesitated to tell me when she thought I was wrong, but I always knew she was in my corner. It is her companionship I miss the most. I will always remember the beauty of walking along the riverside in the early morning cool and spotting cranes in the water through the rising mist.

Such moments of companionship just cannot be a constant now for us at this distance.

So, I recently told her in one of our phone conversations that she has now simply become my sister, that I see no other solution. She was gracious enough to agree that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment