Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fear

Here are a couple of quotes I've seen recently that have reminded me of an insight a colleague shared with me some years ago.

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." ~Yoda from Star Wars

"Named must your fear be before banish it you can." ~Yoda from Star Wars

It's a bit hard to explain the insight, but I can explain the process and remind myself that it works. Whenever confronted by some situation where a person seems to come up against you in anger, ask yourself, "What is the fear?"

This might apply to my own fear or the fear of the other person. When I can identify it, then I can deal with it and take appropriate action (or non-action). Always, my response must be from a position of compassion. When I do this stressful situations often dissipate.

No comments:

Post a Comment